Trolling Motor Maintenance
Trolling motors generally don’t require a lot of maintenance, but there are some good habits to get into and things to check on regularly to boost the lifespan and reliability of your motor. Here are some key tips:
- Rinse your trolling motor with freshwater and remove any debris after each use. This is especially true for saltwater motors even with their enhanced protective coatings.
- Inspect and clean your propeller after each use. Weeds and fishing line can become embedded behind the prop potentially damaging the seals and allowing water inside the motor.
- Check the prop nut (and anode on saltwater motors) to be sure it’s properly tightened. Also check prop blades for any nicks or abrasions. Sand smooth with fine sandpaper if necessary.
- Periodically clean and lubricate the composite shaft with a coating of an aqueous based silicone spray. This will facilitate smooth deployment and retraction. Also lightly coat any exposed metal parts with same spray.
- Disconnect power when the motor is being stored, transported or not in use for extended periods of time. Use this opportunity to check battery terminals for any corrosion or dirt and clean with emery cloth or fine grain sandpaper.
- Recharge your batteries as soon as possible after each use and trickle charge during any extended idle periods. The ideal state for a battery is fully charged.
"After BassPro couldn't answer my question, I called TrollingMotors.net. The representative was really knowledgeable and answered my question right away! These guys definitely know their stuff and I'd recommend them for any major motor investment to ensure you get the right equipment."
- Anthony Gentile, Carlstadt
"TrollingMotors.net was the most informative trolling motor site I found online! When I had questions the site didn't cover, their knowledgeable staff was friendly and helpful. If you're looking to buy a motor - especially a larger one - I would recommend these guys as they will definitely take care of you."
- J. Bermudez, Yuma, Arizona
"I called due to the free shipping and no sales tax, but ended up impressed with the service! I'll definitely keep you guys in mind for my next purchase!"
- Jim James Follon, Burnsville, MN
"I'm so happy I bought from TrollingMotors.net. Not only did they have the motor I was looking for, but I also saved a lot of money."
- David Sharp, Okeechobee, FL.
"My $1,500 Terrova 80 i-Pilot purchase was a big investment so I was a little nervous ordering my motor online, but I'm sure glad I chose TrollingMotors.net! When an address error delayed delivery, TrollingMotors.net ended up overnighting another motor to me so I'd have it in time for my weekend."
- Rusty Hines, East Sparta, OH
"TrollingMotors.net was extremely helpful when UPS damaged my Minn Kota Riptide trolling motor. They arranged for replacement parts to be sent out to me immediately - at no cost - and were very prompt with and follow-up calls and emails. I've been recommending TrollingMotors.net."